Thursday, June 27, 2013

Most Wanted : Garfish.

Another rather unusual looking fish is the latest addition to my "Most Wanted" hitlist and it's also a fish that some anglers do not like. A bit of a theme is emerging on that front and I guess I like to side with the underdogs in that respect. All fish are equal in my eyes. Why don't anglers like them? Because they smell bad allegedly. Whilst I saw one last year during a trip to Jersey cruising around in a harbour I've never seen one close up so I couldn't say how badly but hopefully I'll find out sooner or later.

They scrap well too on ultra light gear I'm reliably informed.

A member of the needlefish family of fish, these long thin fish have a very long hard beak full of little teeth. This rather bony mouth makes them quite hard to land as they can often throw hooks due to the hook not having a proper hold. An oily fish similar to mackerel that is supposed to taste nice but many people are put off by the fact it has green bones. Small metal lures worked quickly and close to the surface seem to be a good way to catch them and I'll be trying to track some down next week when I head off to the south coast of England for ten days where I hope to start catching some of my other Most Wanted targets as well.

Tight lines, Scott.

No comments:

Post a Comment