Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Most Wanted : Redlip Blenny.

Whilst fishing on my recent holiday to the Canary Island of Lanzarote I spotted through the crystal clear water a rather big chunky blenny sitting on a rock on the bottom. I tried to catch it but despite a concerted effort I failed to do so. It was a bit of a brute, was very dark and had a red tinge to its pectoral fins. Some research when I got home has led me to believe that the fish in question was a redlip blenny.

Playing hard to get with those sexy red lips certainly got my attention.
It would seem that the redlip blenny can adopt a mottled colouration too.

Having caught and released a couple of my "Most Wanted" targets while there I need to add a couple more and the redlip blenny is going to be the first. Its stubborn refusal to take a Gulp! Angleworm had me perplexed and I've decided that I want to catch one. Perhaps a different lure or presentation would fool this seemingly fussy blenny or maybe some bait would be required to tempt one? Of course in order to find out I'll have to return to the Canary Islands and I'm considering a visit during winter early next year. Whichever island I visit I've no doubt it'll provide some species hunting adventures I can look forward to.

Tight lines, Scott.

No comments:

Post a Comment