Sunday, June 08, 2014

I thought it was roach that were hard to catch?

I popped through to Eliburn Reservoir on Thursday for a few hours fishing the waggler. A few light showers were forecast but these didn't really materialise. The rain of late had however coloured up the water a fair amount but there was a fair amount of surface activity. I was hoping to catch an Ide so bulked all of my shot around my float and placed a single No. 10 shot on my hook length. Fishing pinkies on a #18 hook and firing in half a dozen in regularly around my puddle chucker I could soon see one or two ide cruising around gobbling them up but as is often the case they seem to have the art of ignoring the ones with the hook in them mastered. When my float did go under it was a very nice roach that had been duped.

A lovely roach in stunning condition. 

This was followed by a few more and despite altering my depth a few times I could not trick the ide into taking my bait and had to frustratingly watch them eat all of my free offerings. Still, it was a relaxing way to spend the afternoon and I got a nice treat when a small dragonfly landed on my hand and sat there briefly posing for photos before flying off again. 

One of the things I like about fishing is that you often get to enjoy wildlife other than fish. 

My first coarse fishing session in a while over, it was good to get a feel for how active the fish were. I plan on doing a little tour or two down south this year to target a few new coarse species but perhaps I should wait a month or so until water temps rise a few more degrees, the fish are a bit more competitive and are more easily fooled. 

Tight lines, Scott.

No comments:

Post a Comment